Orphanage/childcare program is a volunteer program set up to render support to orphaned, poor and marginalized children of Uganda who have not acquired parental support and have faced a number of challenges in life. This program is an initiative under Love Uganda Foundation which actually undertakes all operations regarding Volunteering in Uganda Project. Love Uganda Foundation also recommends volunteers to facilitate in other childcare facilities in the country.
Love Uganda Foundation is a charity based organization based in Kalagi-Mukono [Uganda], founded by the late Emmanuel MacMillan Kitumba in 2012 with an objective of rescueing and restoring hope to the vulnerable children in the most war, epidemic, poverty, HIV/AIDS affected areas. By doing this, he would achieve his lifetime dream/vision of empowering Africa’s next generation. The foundation currently shelters 20 vulnerable children between the ages of 3-15years , among whom are disabled, HIV/AIDS, abandoned , receiving the best of the care under a good trained mother, we also have over 50 other children whom we look after under our external program which extends support to very poor single families, where a widow has failed to completely take care of her big family. This initiative is carried out in the most rural poverty affected areas in Uganda. LUF also provides basic necessities for the children which include; nutritious food, clean water, clothing, medication/treatment and quality education. We not only provide basic necessities to our children, but also teach and train them societal values which will enable them grow up to be responsible citizens thus empowering the next generation. We also provide them with a safe play environment where they can have fun, learn and develop other skills and talents within them.
Many of the children under our care have happened to encounter such a horrible past that they fail to trust anybody at instant/on their first encounter, though this has been greatly battled by our trained team on ground specialized in children trauma healing education. There are instances of children that were constantly abused sexually by their relatives who at most times happen to be the girl’s father, uncle or cousin brother which prompts the child to report or run away or sometimes discovered by the medical personnel after having been severely injured sexually. It is at such instances where LUF working alongside Uganda police intervenes to help relocate this child to help secure their future. Other cases are of children that leave for streets as a result of child labour, severe/corporal punishments at home, hunger/poverty which leaves them with no option but to live all their life on streets begging at such tender age. It has been noted that such misfortunes have negatively impacted many of these children that in turn they become robbers, gangsters, prostitutes in case of girls, marijuana smokers, alcoholic etc.
LUF provides an opportunity for a volunteer to participate in rescuing and restoring hope to such children. Volunteers have an opportunity to interact, educate, play, take care of, follow up, counsel/ advise, among many other activities.
Education: Volunters will have a chance to teach children in various studies including Maths, English language and Science which studies are part of the government curriculum. This is to take place at our school or other schools recommended by LUF.
Meal Preparations: Volunteers can facilitate in meal preparations for the children, giving it a more touch and as well being creative with the meals. This in turn will give them an opportunity to draw closer to these children thus pave way to reaching out to them in one way or the other.
Care/Support: These activities may include assisting children in washing their clothes, help them do their homework, help them clean themselves, assisting and following up on them taking drugs, extending love and attention to them and by doing this they would feel loved and are able to love back thus restoring hope.
Games and Sports: Here, volunteers will be encouraged to participate in sports sessions with the children forexample football, netball, basketball, athletics, dodge games etc. By doing this, the children will find a sense of belonging and as well nurture their talents/skills as these are interactive sessions. Extra-curricular activities such as art, dance and music classes are also encouraged.
Counsel/Advice: Here, a volunteer will be expected to advise/counsel and take care of children having mental/trauma affected issues, this is to be carried out with the trauma healing sessions where trauma affected children are put under a special care and attention during their healing period. Volunteers are expected to work alongside a team of our professional social workers who will help guide them on how to go about this basing on every child’s state.
Other Sectors: Volunteers are to be given an opportunity to volunteer with other sectors outside LUF, which places include children hospitals, refugee camps, religious institutes and other childcare foundations.
This is a great opportunity for anyone seeking a unique experience that differs from the tourist
NB: We also provide programs for groups, Universities, Schools, Corporates, Youth Groups, and Spiritual Organizations can create their own customized group volunteer programs on special rates.
Objectives of Childcare program:
- To provide a safe and secure home for orphan and helpless children.
- To provide nutritious food. We ensure the children receive a balanced diet.
- To provide basic health care, hygiene advice and all the essentials they need to stay healthy. We have a health worker to look after them.
- To provide a safe play area, where the children can have fun and learn and develop the skills of social interaction. The children get a chance to play on the swings and we sometimes take them to local parks where they get a chance to swim, play some more and meet other children.
- To teach and train children ethos of morality and to instill in them a sense of community and respect for their fellow human beings.
- To provide quality education alongside all necessities like stationery, uniforms so as to enable every child reach their academic potential opening up bigger opportunities/avenues for their future.
- We work closely with the public; regularly attend local meetings with social agents and other societal leaders/government workers for the betterment of advancing foundation activities so as to create an atmosphere for properly raising up our children.
- To find more sponsors and donors that are in position to fund the project more that we may achieve a goal of accommodating many vulnerable children under this program.
- To provide better medical attention/care to our children in terms of working alongside our special doctors that engage us in monthly health checkups for the children, provide drugs, medicines so as to keep our children healthy at all time.
- To co-ordinate and carry out joint efforts with other government and non-government organizations/well-wishers to raise awareness about children rights and expose how deadly the effects of child neglect, abuse can be to a society.
- To launch income generating activities/sustainability projects to help cover expenses within the organization.
General volunteer duties
As a volunteer in the orphanage program, you will be working with children from impoverished backgrounds at an orphanage. You may also work with volunteers or assistants at the center. Depending on your individual interests and skills, and on the needs of the local staff, your daily activities will involve;
- Teaching basic English, Math, Science, Physical Education, other subjects of interest, helping the children with their homework and monitoring their academic progress.
- Assisting the children with their daily routine before and after school (i.e. feeding, brushing teeth, bathing, getting dressed, prepare them for school) especially the younger ones and the mentally ill children.
- Organizing and participating in games/sports, art and crafts, singing, dancing, story-telling, drama and many other creative educational extra-curriculum activities.
- Help with cooking, meal times, and the kitchen garden and watch over them.
- Help in the school garden through: teaching gardening classes, caring for livestock, supervising children and adults in gardening activities, helping with training events.
- Providing care, love and attention to children.
- Educating on personal hygiene, and safety rules and precautions.
- Developing stimulating new ideas to help children learn easily.
- Assisting the local staff with administrative duties, promoting fundraising activities, and helping to plan events and excursions for the children
- Designing and implementing effective teaching programs, activities and events to inspire and develop the talent and abilities within the children.
A day in the life of a volunteer
On normal working days, volunteers usually get up and have breakfast before leaving for their Volunteer Placements. Our staff will provide transportation to and from your Volunteer Placement if required. You will spend about four hours at your Volunteer Placement. Evenings will be filled with opportunities to learn about the local culture and customs, field trips to places of local interest, discussions with experts on local issues and others. Evening meal-times provide another exciting chance to enjoy authentic food provided by host family/our staff cooks. The food is delicious and healthy and takes full advantage of local cooking traditions. The evenings and weekends are free time, to relax or explore the local area.
Volunteer Program Typical Week:
Arrival Day Saturday/Sunday: Pick Up from the Airport and arrive to your home, where you have an opportunity to meet your program coordinator. After some time of relaxation, you will get a Welcome Presentation, Culture Training and area orientation then have your room set up for your stay. On Sunday you will visit local sights and in the evening you will be free to enjoy your leisure and prepare yourself for the starting of the new week full of activities.
Monday- Friday: You will be served breakfast every morning, after which you will proceed for day’s activities, project times and work plans will be given to you on arrival. You can walk to the project site where LUF staff will meet you.
Evenings: You will have evenings free for cultural activities such as visiting local temples in the area, local markets, Language Classes, cultural cooking classes, Buganda culture classes.
Weekends: You can spend your weekends visiting the recreation centres, beach, Kampala city centre or even Mukono locality where the orphanage is situated.
You can combine your volunteer programs in different locations. Some options that we recommend include:
- Street children program.
- Kindergartens volunteer projects.
- Working at day care centers.
- Volunteering at childcare development centers.
A typical schedule in LUF orphanage volunteer program would be as follows:
6:00 am – Rise up.
6:30 am – Volunteers assist in preparing breakfast for both the children or him/herself if at all they happen to have slept a particular not at their resident but in the children’s house.
7:00 am – Children depart for school and volunteers can assist with cleaning, planning activities or lesson plans.
1 pm – Lunch Break.
2:30pm – Volunteers can visit the local market or utilize this time for internet access.
4 pm – Children return to the orphanage from their school day. Volunteers can teach the children English, Math, or any other subjects including conservation and personal hygiene, drawing, painting, rhymes and many other topics during a recess time which period may not exceed an hour between 4pm-6pm.
7 pm – Dinner served.
- Airport Pickup and drop off at the volunteer headquarters.
- Accommodation (Single or double room).
- Breakfast and Dinner
- Pre Departure Information Pack
- Training and Area Orientation on arrival.
- 24/7 Local staff support and Program Manager on location.
- Project Travel
- Volunteer Activities
- Local Sim Card
- LUF T-shirt and Shirt.
- Police Report or DBS Check
- Tourist Visas
- Travel Insurance
- Local Shopping
- Extra Cultural Activities
- Visas and Insurance
- Travel Information
- Health and Safety
Volunteers must be:
- At least 16 years or older at the start of the program.
- Have an open mind and flexible attitude towards working in new and different environments.
- Prepared to do some manual work during their placement.
What we provide
- Pickup from the airport, transport to your placement.
- Food during placement with a host family / hostel- Nepali standard 2 to 3 meals a day.
- Provisions for the children at our orphanage
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information.
- 24 hrs Assistance and support from LUF Staff.
24 hours support is provided by our staff members. Once you arrive in the country you will be provided with the contact details of our local coordinator who you will be able to contact at any time during your stay.
LUF offices will at all-time be open in case of any inquiry, query or support of any kind.
What is not included?
- Apart from the fees, other costs that are to be met by the volunteer are:
- Any personal expenses
- Any other Donations
We wish you a great stay with the children.